Beautiful and healthy skin reflects overall well-being. Women’s skin undergoes significant changes over the years, influenced by factors such as age, hormones, lifestyle, and environment. “Proper skincare is essential at every stage of life to maintain youthful radiance and protect against the signs of ageing”, says marketing manager for skincare brand Vitaderm, Ruan Winter.
Winter shares a comprehensive breakdown of best skincare practices and recommended products through the decades.
In your 20s, your skin is usually at its peak, with high collagen production and natural resilience. Focus on establishing good skincare habits that will benefit you in the long run.
- Cleanser: Use a gentle cleanser twice a day to remove impurities and keep your skin clean. Vitaderm’s Gentle Cream Cleanser contains phyto extracts of rosewood, lavender and rose geranium to effectively cleanse all skin types, including ultra-sensitive. It’s gentle, removes daily pollution and make-up, and conditions the skin leaving it fresh and revitalised.
- Sunscreen: Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 daily to protect against harmful UV rays and prevent premature ageing.
- Moisturiser: Keep your skin hydrated with a lightweight, oil-free moisturiser suitable for your skin type.
- Eye cream: Start using an eye cream to prevent fine lines and dark circles around the delicate eye area.
- Antioxidants: Incorporate products with antioxidants (such as vitamin C) to protect your skin from environmental damage.
In your 30s, collagen production starts to decline, leading to subtle changes in skin elasticity and hydration. Focus on maintaining your skin’s resilience and addressing early signs of ageing.
- Hydration: Opt for a moisturiser with added hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid to lock in moisture.
- Retinol: Consider introducing retinol products to your routine to boost collagen production and minimise fine lines.
- Exfoliation: Exfoliate regularly (2-3 times a week) to promote cell turnover and maintain a radiant complexion.
- Eye Cream with peptides: Upgrade to an eye cream that contains peptides to target deeper wrinkles and promote firmness. Vitaderm’s Eye Lift Gel contains the peptide, Eyeseryl®, which assists in reducing dark circles and puffiness while maintaining collagen and improving suppleness.
In your 40s, collagen and elastin production further decrease, leading to more noticeable signs of ageing. Prioritise skin nourishment and intensive treatments.
- Rich moisturiser: Switch to a richer, creamier moisturiser to combat dryness and enhance skin elasticity.
- Peptides and growth factors: Use serums or creams with peptides and growth factors to promote collagen synthesis and repair.
- Neck and décolletage care: Extend your skincare routine to the neck and décolletage area to prevent sagging and fine lines. Vitaderm’s Firming Treatment Cream is ideal for use on the neck and décolleté area, as well as areas like the hands and arms, which may require more focused attention. The conditioning and anti-ageing cream will assist skin lacking vibrancy and firmness and contains hyaluronic acid and peptides.
- Chemical peels: Consider professional chemical peels to address hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone.
In your 50s, hormonal changes and decreased skin cell turnover can lead to more pronounced wrinkles and loss of firmness. Prioritise skin rejuvenation and deep hydration.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Opt for products with high concentrations of hyaluronic acid to plump and hydrate the skin.
- Anti-ageing serums or complexes: Incorporate potent anti-ageing serums or complexes with ingredients like retinol, vitamin C, or niacinamide. Vitaderm’s Nutrient Complex is ultra-nourishing comprising three powerful antioxidants; Vitamin C, Ferulic Acid and Ubiquinol. Vitamin C also assists in brightening.
- Facial oils: Consider using facial oils to nourish and improve the skin’s moisture barrier.
- Facial massages: Incorporate facial massages to improve blood circulation and stimulate collagen production.
In your 60s, maintaining healthy and vibrant skin becomes even more crucial. Focus on gentle care, nourishment, and protection.
- Mild cleansers: Use mild, non-stripping cleansers to avoid irritation and dryness.
- Intensive moisturisers: Choose deeply nourishing moisturisers that contain ceramides and essential fatty acids.
- Sun protection: Continue using sunscreen daily and avoid excessive sun exposure to prevent further skin damage. Vitaderm’s Reflective Sun Barrier SPF 35+ has a non-greasy, matt texture, and protects against UVA and UVB rays.
- Antioxidant-rich diet: Maintain a diet rich in antioxidants to support skin health from within.
Skincare is a lifelong journey, and each stage requires specific attention and adjustments. “Remember, consistency, protection from the sun, and a holistic approach to skincare are key to achieving beautiful skin at every age,” Winter concludes.
For more information visit the Vitaderm website