There’s a reason why skincare professionals harp on about summer skincare – and it’s not just about the weather. “Yes, the heat is a factor, but we also must acknowledge the late nights, over consumption (of food and alcohol), and general lack of routine and how they all affect our skin in different ways,” explains Ruan Winter from South African skincare brand Vitaderm.
Overindulge, says Winter, we certainly deserve it, however there are little things we can do to mitigate the way our skin reacts to these external factors. One of the best ways to do this is to exfoliate. “Often seen as an underrated routine, consistent exfoliation will keep your skin healthy and glowing and is especially important in the summer months.”
Exfoliation gets rid of the dirt and grime from the day, and more importantly, takes off the dry skin cells that naturally build up. Once the dry skin is removed, new skin cells can regenerate. It can also help blood flow to the surface of the skin, leaving you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
Another key benefit of exfoliation is that it helps to prevent ingrown hairs. Before shaving, exfoliate your skin to help remove dead skin cells, which, in turn, provides a closer shave. At the same time, exfoliating the skin in a circular motion helps to open hair follicles to prevent ingrown hairs from forming when the skin regenerates.
Tips on exfoliation:
- Make sure you don’t over-exfoliate, keep it to twice a week. Over-exfoliating can wreak havoc on your skin, and you can end up damaging your skin barrier if you exfoliate too often.
- Choose a product that feels good on your skin, and that is good for your skin. Vitaderm’s Skin Polishing Cream is a clay-based cream exfoliator with an ultra-fine apricot kernel powder that polishes the surface of the skin. The volcanic ash content detoxifies from deep within for noticeably smoother, healthier skin.
- Let your skin soak for a few minutes before exfoliating to soften the skin, allowing more dry skin to be removed.
- Rinse and pat dry after exfoliation.
- Your skin will need extra moisture post-exfoliating so be sure to keep your skin hydrated. Go for a hydrating or soothing serum to boost your skin’s moisture and replenish your skin from any moisture loss during exfoliating, followed by a moisturiser to lock it in.
- Exfoliating can make your skin more sensitive to the sun and more vulnerable to sunburn. It’s crucial to protect your skin from UV rays, which can cause premature skin ageing. Apply sunscreen daily to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun.
If you’re really feeling, and seeing, the effects of all those late nights – especially around the very delicate eye area – Winter recommends using a product to help boost hydration and brighten. Vitaderm’s Eye Lift Gel assists in reducing dark circles and puffiness, ultimately rejuvenating the area.
For more information visit the Vitaderm website